Monday 19 May 2014


DIARY OF A TRAINEE OCEAN DIVER - PART 1

Dipping of my toe into the deep world of scuba diving……

This is the first in what will be a large set of posts about my experience of gaining my BSAC Ocean Diver qualification with Bracknell Sub Aqua Club 434.

But before we jump into the deep end of the pool, I would like to start at the shallow end. Dip a toe in

and tell you a bit about myself and how this all came about.

A little background about who I am and what got me into diving:
I am a 24 year old recent graduate; I graduated from Kent University about 2 years ago and I now work for a data backup company.

Where did it all start from?

From a young age I had an interest in scuba diving, it all started when I was given the chance to have my very first try drive. After the initial introduction to all of the gear and having a BCD (Buoyancy Control Device) that very much swamped me, I was allowed to put my head underwater and was told to breathe.

Now at that young age it was a bit hard to understand that you could only breathe through your mouth, so it wasn't a very successful dive, but I was 12, so I now forgive myself. I have to admit I have been hooked on the idea of scuba diving and have been looking for an opportunity to learn to dive ever since. So now that I am done with studying, it’s time to go diving!

What attracts me to scuba diving?

Have you ever been in a shower or bath and never wanted to leave it? Not because the bathroom is cold, or that the water is so lovely and hot, but because you just love the feeling of being surrounded by or in water? – If you have then we have something in common, a love of water and if I could I would spend all day every day in water…..or just be a human duck.

But having never really grasped the concept of swimming while holding my breath and having my head underwater, the idea of swimming has never really appealed to me. So what makes scuba diving so attractive, exciting and thrilling for me then I hear you say? It’s simple, being able to be underwater without having to worry about holding my breath. You take away the fear of having to hold your breath and swim, and I can relax and enjoy being underwater.

Why dive, why not snorkel?

Snorkeling is good fun, and I have done it in the past. But I was never able to go down deep and see what was at the bottom, on the sea bed.

Having now met the members of Bracknell Sub Aqua Club and having the pleasure of enjoying a try dive with them, I am now a full member of the club.

I am undertaking my Ocean diver course with them as well, so now that you know a bit about me and my love affair with diving. Let’s get to the interesting part, the course.....part 2 coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment